I shopped around for various parking assistance devices for tight garages, or any garage really. There are various types but most require that you park a specific vehicle in a specific way to work. For instance, the old tennis ball on a string really only works for the vehicle you set it up for, parked the direction you set it up for. I wanted a system that would allow me to park any of my vehicles either direction while minimizing the distance to the garage door. This way you maximize the space at the front of the garage.
Years ago in another garage I built a simple system using standard garage door sensors, some LEDs, and an old cell phone charger. It works but this time I wanted something a bit better. I searched again on the internet for a kit or system I could just buy and install but to my surprise there really is not one like the system I made.
Here are the components I made the system using.
- Yohii dual alarm beam detector $32.99
- 2 12VDC 2A power supplies $11.99 for 2-pack
- Weewooday 12V boat navigation LED strips $9.99 for 6-pack
- Terminal strips to simplify the wiring $9.99 for 10-pack
- 50' 18ga 5 conductor sprinkler system wire (obtained from local hardware store)
- Various screws and clips