Sunday, March 5, 2023

New bike on the way

 I finally ordered a new electric mountain bike.  After long research I decided on the Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra FS Pro 3.


I have now put over 1,100 miles on my Rurui XT10 and I have learned much about what I needed for where I ride.  I chose the Biktrix bike because:
  • Bafang M620 ultra mid-drive is the best motor for serious off-road with steep hills and loamy terrain that I ride in.
  • 52V batteries are more efficient and powerful with the M620 motor than the typical 48V.
  • 11 speed cassette with 11-42 gears supports a wide range of riding conditions, including steep hills and loamy terrain. The bigger rear gears will work much better in the technical or real steep riding.  It is a proper cassette too, instead of the screw-on freewheel than has limits.
  • Fat-tire and full suspension for serious off-road riding.
  • It has an optional add-on battery for extra capacity when needed but easily removed to reduce weight when not needed.  Main battery alone is 126% capacity of the Rurui.  With the additional battery I will have 220% capacity of the Rurui.  I have only run the Rurui out of power one time so while this will be nice it is likely more than I will generally need. This will give the option of longer, steeper rides at higher speeds.
  • Air shock and forks.
  • Inverted fork has less un-sprung mass and is more rigid. 
The next best option I found in this price range was the Eunorau Specter S.  It was less expensive than the Biktrix.  It has the same motor and 11-speed cassette. It used 48V instead of 52V and lacked the air suspension.  Besides, it is hard to pronounce the name.  

The Rurui was great for street riding and off-road in less steep areas.  The rear hub drive did not provide enough low speed power for climbing for where I like to ride.  It did great at speeds from 11mph and up but for lower speed technical stuff, or long steep hills it did not work well.  

I also looked into more aggressive off-road bikes that were closer to electric dirt bikes.  Here are some examples.

CAB Motorworks. They make bikes from 750W all the way to over 20kW.  These are based on motocross bikes more than bicycles.  They had some very appealing features such as proper motocross suspension, wheels, and tires and regenerative braking.  I also like the moto seat option.  However, these would not be welcome anywhere but off-road.  They would not pass as a bicycle to most people.  They are also much heavier that most ebikes and are single speed (pedal).  The one I was most interested in was the Falcon.

UltraTRX. They make a range of off-road ebikes that include bike that are based on the higher end of ebikes all the way to motocross bikes.  The Cheetah looked the most interesting to me.



I ordered the Biktrix but it has not shipped yet.  Once I get it and take it for a few rides, I will post about it here on this blog.  


No comments: