Friday, December 30, 2022

Cheat-O-Cycle hits 1000 miles

 


My Rurui XT10 Electric Mountain Bike hit 1,000 miles today.  That took just over a year.  My first ride was December 11th, 2021 and today is December 30th, 2022.   I have had some great rides on this thing.  I made several upgrades along the way to make it better suited for heavy duty off-road riding.  I still get tons of exercise since it is a very heavy bike with fat tires and full suspension and I ride up long steep loamy hills mostly. I pedal the whole time.  A typical 2.5 hour 20 mile off-road ride burns around 1,300 calories and I can really feel it.  The big difference with the electric assist is the speed, especially up the hills and in soft terrain.  I mostly use power assist level (PAS) 1.  I would guess it is in PAS 1 about 70% of the time I am riding with assist. PAS 2 probably accounts for another 20%.  I don't use assist going downhill of course, which can be almost half of a typical ride.  

After my upgrades, this bike works well for my riding.  I am on my 3rd controller now.  They can't handle the power and fail.  Both were replaced by Rurui though and the latest one claims to be rated for 18A instead of 17A.  So far, so good.  If it fails again, I will be getting a higher power rated controller.  Other than that, it has been a good bike overall.  I also had to replace the rear tire and rear brake pads because I wore them out.  I bought this bike for $1,599 and I would say I got good value for the money.  That is quite inexpensive for a full-suspension 750W fat-tire electric mountain bike.  I have been looking casually at other bike like it since I bought this but have not really found a more compelling one in this price range, or even for more than tipple this price.  I have also considered building my own but decided I would be far better off just upgrading components on this one.  

No comments: